Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Watsons Go To Birmingham 1963

By: Christopher Paul Curtis

Published by: Yearling
Pages: 210


This book is a hilarious book about a African-American family that lives in Flint, Michigan. The oldest boy, Bryon is misbehaving and not following his parents rules. So Momma and Dad decided to take a road trip to Alabama to leave Byron with his grandmother for a few months. This is sad for both Joetta, and Kenny( his siblings) Despite the begging and pleading, momma and dad still insist on taking Byron to Alabama. They make the long trip to Alabama and when they are there, Kenny almost drowns in a swimming hole, but Byron saves his life. And then there is a bombing(whick is based on true events) at the church house where Joetta( the little sister) was attending Sunday school. When Kenny heard about the bombing, he went and searched for Joetta at the church, he saw lots of dead bodies of little girls lying around, and he wsas sure Joetta was dead. Joetta was fine however, but momma and dad decided that it wasn't right to leave Byron there anymore, and he promised to shape up if they took him back home to flint with them. The family learns a lot about racism while visiting grandma, and for the kids, it changed their lives for the better.


Age Level: Ages 9-12


Possible conflicts: There is a lot of racism in this book, and also a lot of foul laungage, I don't think I would be comfortable in having my kids read this book until they were in the 6th grade, which is when I first read it.


My reaction: I love this book, the cover is decieving because this book is so funny, and whitty. I loved every minute of reading it. Plus I enjoy the history in it also. I give it 5 stars *****

No comments:

Post a Comment