Friday, February 12, 2010

Grimm Fairy Tales

By: The Grimm Brothers- Jacob and Wilhelm
Published in The National Geographic
Ages: all ages

I read Hansel and Grethel which is a story about a poor family who cannot afford to feed their children, so the mother decides to take the children and leave them there to fend for themselves. The children overhear and put rocks in their pockets to drop along the way into the forest so they can find their way home. They find their was home the first time, and their father is so happy. But the mother takes them further into the forest leaving them there. This time they cannot find their way back and end up at a cottage made out of candy. The old lady of the house takes them in and then turns out to be a mean nasty witch, and tries to eat the children. But before she can, Grethel pushes her into the hot oven, closes the door, and the witch is burnt to pieces. The children take all of her money and jewels and return home to their father and lived happily ever after.

I also read Cinderella, Repunzel, and Little Red Cap.

Who I would recommend these fairy tales to: Not young children that's for sure! Maybe older children, like over the age 9.

Possible problems/conflicts? I think there is a lot of conflicts that could arise from these original fairy tales. Like abandonment of children, a witch trying to eat the kids, step sisters who go blind, and a little girl who kills the wolf with rocks.

My reaction: I was a little stunned by the orginal fairy tales, but I am pretty sure that they are the same ones I read when I was a kid, and they didn't do any damage. Well at least I hope : )

No comments:

Post a Comment